Monday, May 11, 2009

U.S. National Guard Spanish TV Commercial In English Cable Networks

I was watching TV yesterday and started to realize something that really stood out, not necessarily in a positive way from a diversity perspective.
I realized that I don't understand the U.S. National Guard TV ads that was running on USA and LifeTime TV. Because the ads are all in Spanish even though all the programs are in English. I am sure I have not switch channels.
I know I may not be saying something that is politically correct here. But if I am in search of an American Dream, I will think that this dream ought to be in English, rather than in Spanish.
So, what's wrong here??
Is it true that in desparate need to try to grab one specific market, you can alienate the others?
In this specific case for National Guard, I will say "YES". At least for me, the commercial not only is not talking to me or those who don't know Spanish, it actually scare me and my family who are watching TV with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment